Pages


Tranquility

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Sunday's Craft Fair



Well, Sunday arrived and after so many really spring like days it dawned cold and wet - very wet and as we gathered at Stanwick, I and the other stallholders wondered if this would mean no one would come - or maybe they would come because there was nothing else to do!

The village hall is brand new and very pleasant - nothing like the cold, draughty halls of old and the only downside was that there was no car park and so unloading had to be done from nearby streets - which wouldn't have been so bad - except for the rain  !!  However, it made for chat and camararderie between everyone and helped us all to get to know each other.

The rain didn't keep people away, and everyone who came seemed very interested in what we were all doing, had we made things ourselves, where did we get our inspiration, and did we spend a lot of time on our pursuits - Yes!  Unfortunately, after lots of praise, people often then just go away - visitors to Fairs often don't seem to realise that we are there for them to purchase from us - I think many people think of them as interesting places to have a look around, meet some people and have tea - which is great, but it would be nice if they bought a little more.

I wondered if I was alone in thinking this, but chatting to other crafters at the Fair, they agreed.

We also find that it is very difficult to gauge what people will be keen to buy - the lady on the next stall to me said she had been taking the same cushions to fairs for the last 18 months and sold none - and on Sunday she sold out and my other neighbour had put together some plants in really nice pots suitable for Mother's Day presents - and sold none.  It is a conundrum, and one which keeps us on our toes and ready for the next Fair - the next challenge. 

Anyway, a good day is had by all, we make new friends, new connections and make plans between us for future events.

See more info and pics about the fair at http://www.mid-fair.com/


2 comments:

  1. Hello from the very warm mid-west of Western Australia. I found your name as you too love 'The Magic Apple Tree, which is one of my favourite books. I also craft ... knit from way way back, sew, and now have taken up patchwork and quilting.
    We have a fair on our local park first Saturday of each month where many goods are on sale. Sadly I fear that many are not sold ... it does seem many go for the outing, but keep their purse strings tightly shut. We usually buy a yummy apple tart, a carrot cake and what takes our fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. I do wish we could persuade people that the things we take many hours making are soooooo much nicer than those mass produced things !!!!!! Also, I don't know if you are the same, but I do make so many things I need to make way for more stuff !!!! We must just keep churning away.

      The Magic Apple Tree is super isn't it - so unlike Susan Hill's fiction although I do like some of that too.

      I also have another book of her's which you would probably like called "Through the Kitchen Window" - in fact I have her tea bread recipe from that book in the oven at the moment!

      Ruth

      Delete